Mslexia Magazine - Issue 80
Agenda: what’s happening to writers’ earnings?
PLUS: Surviving troll on social media • True crime • When to give up your novel • Writing for Mills and Boon
Carol Ann Duffy • A L Kennedy • Anna Soubry • Suzanne O’Sullivan • Bidisha
- Money matters: Grace Holliday weighs the evidence on author earnings
- What you’re saying about… literary agents, elitism and literary comp judging
- What happened when you wrote your aspirational writer’s biography
- For the love of it: local history with Tania Rahman
- Writing in the world: mental health with Caroline Butterwick
- Carol Ann Duffy introduces the winners of the PBS/Mslexia Women’s Poetry Competition
- Creativity news
- Writing exercises
- What works for Bidisha
- Poetry challenge: Rondeau Redoublé, selected by Linda France
- Ghost town: Margaret Wilkinson on the pros and cons of visiting the location she’s writing about
- Tara Bergin’s Achilles’ heel
- Flash genre: Wendy Dove
- First page surgery with Vicky Grut
- On giving up: Kat Sommers asks if it’s ever okay to admit defeat
- Suzanne O’Sullivan talks to Debbie Taylor
Off the page
- Script news
- Play list with Dawn King
- Rehearsals and warm-ups with Malika Booker
- Listen up with Helen Mort
- Bedtime story: ‘Tinker Boy’
- Moving words with Claire Trévien
- Sister acts with Kirsten Luckins
- Monologue: ‘Preston and free’ by A L Kennedy
- Publishing news
- Crystal ball
- #hutchrabbitgirls: Kim Moore on being silenced by social media trolls
- Pitch surgery with Karolina Sutton
- Pitch calendar
- Self-help book test drive with Meg Clothier
- Open for submissions
- Insight: pitch prospects
- Three of a kind: women-only publishing
- Insight: script submissions to UK Film Festival Script Competition
- Open for entries: competitions and awards
- Insight: literary agent Jenny Hewson’s manuscript wishlist
- Insight: The K Blundell Trust
- Insight: Writers’ & Artists’ YearbookShort Story Competition
- Time away: writing holidays
- Début author interview: Kate Milner
- Poet laureate by Vicky Allen
- Six best translated novels by women
- Poetry news
- Poetry review by Mary Jean Chan
- Non-fiction: true crime with Caroline Sanderson
- L is for…
- Fiction issues: on writing Mills & Boon by Julia Williams
- Short story news
- Short story review by Angela Readman
- Short story heroes: Katherine Mansfield
- Books about writing
- I confess
- Events and courses
- Anna Soubry’s bedtime reading
- What we’re up to
- Submitting and subscribing to Mslexia
The magazine for women who write
We firmly believe that you shouldn’t leave your writing career to chance, and there’s no faster way to level up your craft than with a subscription to our quarterly magazine.
- Your passport to a supportive, dynamic tribe of creative women writers.
- Opportunity to submit your work and get published to kick start your career.
- Professional advice from literary agents and editors a click away.
- Spark creativity and silence the practical and psychological obstacles.
- Over 50 writing competitions in each issue.
- Over 60 magazines and publishers on the lookout for fresh voices.
- Access to e-newsletter, Little Ms.