Mslexia Magazine - Issue 81
Agenda: Adding a new word to the language: on the twentieth anniversary of Mslexia’s launch, Debbie Taylor takes a walk down memory lane.
PLUS: Historical crime • Winning short stories • Why women lack confidence • Making time to write.
V E Schwab • Fiona Mozley • Annie Georgie • K J Orr • Susan Calman • Susie Orbach
- Adding a new word to the language: Debbie Taylor takes a walk down memory lane
- How dare you? Susie Orbach explains
- 2018 Poetry Pamphlet Competition winner
- What you’re saying about… writing goals, attitudes to indies, and grammar gripes
- Your life sentences
- For the love of it: fan site blogging with Glenda Young
- Sarah Gonnet’s view of reviewing
- Our judging panel debates the winners of our Short Story Competition
- Meg Pokrass on the winners of our Flash Fiction Competition
- Creativity news
- Writing exercises
- What works for Lisa Appignanesi
- Poetry challenge: elegy, selected by Linda France
- Confidence trick: Angela Readman on doubting her success as a writer
- Fiona Mozley’s Achilles’ heel
- Flash challenge: Sarah Nash
- First page surgery with Angela Clarke
- V E Schwab talks to Laura Steven
OFF THE PAGE
- Script news
- Play list with Annie George
- Podding along: narrative non-fiction podcasts with Alice Slater
- Songbirds: pitch with Susie McComb
- Monologue: ‘Backbone’ by K J Orr
- Publishing news
- Crystal ball
- The steeper climb: Kerry Hudson on being given a fair reading
- Pitch surgery with Charlotte Robertson
- Pitch calendar
- Self-help book test drive with Meg Clothier
- The tests of time: Aki Schilz asks how women fit writing into their busy lives
- Open for submissions
- Insight: pitch prospects
- Three of a kind: landscapes
- Insight: script submissions to the Bruntwood Prize for Playwriting
- Open for entries: competitions and awards
- Insight: agent Jo Unwin’s manuscript wishlist
- Insight: That’s What She Said
- Insight: Bristol Short Story Prize
- Time away: writing holidays
- Début author interview: Nicole Flattery
- Poet laureate by Miranda Day
- Six best novels by South Asian writers
- Poetry news
- Poetry review by Sandeep Parmar
- Non-fiction: essay anthologies with Caroline Sanderson
- M is for…
- Fiction issues: historical thrillers by Anna Mazzola
- Short story news
- Short story review by Alice Slater
- Short story heroes: Daisy Johnson
- Books about writing
- I confess
- Events and courses
- Susan Calman’s bedtime reading
- What we’re up to
- Submitting and subscribing to Mslexia
The magazine for women who write
We firmly believe that you shouldn’t leave your writing career to chance, and there’s no faster way to level up your craft than with a subscription to our quarterly magazine.
- Your passport to a supportive, dynamic tribe of creative women writers.
- Opportunity to submit your work and get published to kick start your career.
- Professional advice from literary agents and editors a click away.
- Spark creativity and silence the practical and psychological obstacles.
- Over 50 writing competitions in each issue.
- Over 60 magazines and publishers on the lookout for fresh voices.